EconBiz is a subject portal for economics and business studies. It offers:
- A literature search across important German and international databases, including the holdings of ZBW
- Access to free and licensed full texts on the internet
- A calendar of events for scholarly conferences and summer schools
- The reference service Research Guide EconDesk which answers your questions about the search for literature and statistical data.
- The section research skills with the online tutorial Guided Walk on how to search, evaluate and cite scholarly publications.
EconBiz is a service of ZBW – Leibniz Information Centre for Economics.
EconBiz for students. Here you can find…
- Scholarly publications in economics and business studies for your bachelor and master thesis.
- Highly ranked journal articles and articles from books.
- Free full texts, e.g. current economics and business studies working papers.
Do you need help with your finding information or writing your assignment?
EconBiz for researchers. Here you can find…
- Articles in journals and books – from Germany, Europe and the world
- Current working papers from economics and business studies
- Conferences and summer schools, with deadlines for call for papers, and options for subject-related or geographical search.
These features can make your work easier:
- Use filter and sorting options in order to render your results more precise.
- Register for updates on new events in your research field or follow the event calendar on Twitter.
- Manage your personal literature lists and share them with fellow researchers or your students.
- Suggest the section research skills with the Guided Walks: Search and evaluate / Access to full textes / Cite correctly to your students. - For better assignments.
EconBiz for research institutions
- Suggest your conferences and summer schools for our event calendar.
Thus they will be easily found via Google.
- Publish your open access series on EconStor, to ensure long term access and stable URLs.
Via EconStor you are visible in EconBiz, RePEc, and Google Scholar.
Good Reasons for EconBiz: EconBiz vs. Google Scholar
In the paper What Google Scholar can(’t) do: Comparison of the scholarly search in EconBiz and Google Scholar you can find some good reasons for using more than just Google Scholar for your scholarly literature search.
The topics discussed:
- The search interface of Google Scholar provides only few options to control a topical search.
- Google Scholar includes huge quantities of full-texts and references of all subject areas. The result lists of subject specific databases might be more precise.
- With its ranking, Google Scholar influences which search results are displayed. The sorting is not transparent and cannot be changed.
- Google Scholar is led by commercial interests. It is important that publicly funded search tools provide alternatives in the access to information.
- Google doesn’t always respect privacy and copyright laws.
EconBiz was set up as a joint project of the German National Library of Economics (ZBW) and the University and City Library of Cologne (USB Köln). During the start-up phase the project was supported by the German Research Foundation (DFG).
Since 2013 EconBiz ist a service of ZBW, Leibniz Information Centre for Economics.